The Friends of the Springfield-Greene County Library moved the semiannual book sale from a location about fifteen minutes from me to a location about forty-five minutes away, plus or minus fifteen minutes with traffic. So I’m only going once this year, and I made a beeline to the record albums. I knew I was going to be in trouble when the second album I touched was Eydie Gorme and The Trio Los Panchos More Amor.
So I bought a lot of LPs.
Don’t bother counting. That’s sixty albums. They had a large number of Brazilian albums, mostly samba and MGB, so I ended up with a pile of them now.
Here’s what I got:
- Angela Bofill Angie
- Artie Shaw Tiara Spotlight Series
- Bent Fabric Alley Cat
- Beth Carvalho Sentimento Brasileiro
- Beth Carvalho Suor No Rosto
- Billy Ocean Love Zone
- Boots Randolph Plays the Greatest Hits of Today
- Burl Ives Christmas Album
- Burt Bacharach Bacharach Baroque: The Renaissance
- Charlie Barnet Presents a Tribute to Harry James
- Chick Corea Touchstone
- Clara Nunes Sucessos de Ouro
- Dean Martin Favorites
- Dean Martin Welcome to My World
- Donna Summer Bad Girls
- Eartha Kitt The Fabulous Eartha Kitt
- Elba Ramalho Coração Brasileiro
- Elis Regina Nada Será Como Antes
- Elis Regina Vento de Maio
- Eric Gale Touch of Silk
- Estela Núñez Uno…
- Eydie Gorme and The Trio Los Panchos More Amor
- Gal Costa Fantasia
- Gal Costa Baby Gal
- Ginny and the Gallions The Two Sides Of
- Grover Washington, Jr. Baddest
- Grover Washington, Jr. Skylarkin’
- GRP Live In Session
- Harold Gomberg The Baroque Oboe
- Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass Going Places!!
- Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass Summertime
- Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass What Now My Love
- Herbie Mann Waterbed
- Hiroshima Third Generation
- Jackie Gleason The Best of Jackie Gleason Volume 2
- Jean-Pierre Rampal Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano
- Johnny Mathis and the Nelson Riddle Orchestra Live It Up!
- Kiri and the Nelson Riddle Orchestra Blue Skies
- Leny Andrade Leny Andrade
- Les Elgart Half Satin Half Latin
- Linda Ronstadt and the Nelson Riddle Orchestra Lush Life
- Maria Bethânia Alteza
- Nelson Ayres Mantiquiera
- Pete Fountain Salutes the Great Clarinetists
- Sergio Mendes & Brasil ’66 Herb Alpert Presents
- Sergio Mendes & Brasil ’66 Look Around
- Simone Amar
- Stargard Stargard
- The Commodores Midnight Magic
- The Commodores Natural High
- The Tonight Show Band with Doc Severinsen
- The Tonight Show Band with Doc Severinsen Volume II
- Tony Bennett The Many Moods of Tony
- Tony Bennett Who Can I Turn To?
- Toshiko Akiyoshi Notorious Tourist from the East
- The Baroque Trumpet
- Baroque Fanfares and Sonatas for Brass
- Voices of the Middle Ages
- Sucessos Inesquecíveis Da M.P.B.
- A&M Records Million Dollar Sampler
I got three albums (Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass Going Places!! and What Now My Love and Sergio Mendes and Brasil ’66 Look Around) because they had better covers than the ones I already have. I got two albums (Blue Skies and Live It Up!) because of the “and the Nelson Riddle Orchestra”.
And I’ve got a couple weeks worth of listening for about $60.
I got three books, too, as you can see. And my children found a Perry Como title in the CDs for me, but when I got home, I discovered it was a copy inside, so I discarded it. I try to be careful about that, but I was too busy worrying about the records to check the CD I guess.
Also, I tested my beautiful wife’s love as never before as I brought in this ten inch stack of records. Followed soon by the greatest test ever of my furniture making skill as I try to create a storage solution for my hundreds of LPs.