It’s been a bad season for the local book fairs and Brian J. I missed the one in Clever because I didn’t know when it was (although since I’m a Friend of the Clever Library, I probably got a notification that I discarded). I missed the Christian County Library book sale due to car problems. But I managed to sneak off to the Friends of the Springfield-Greene County Library book sale yesterday.
Strangely, this one is at the upper limit of my size preference. There’s a lot to look at, and it would take hours to browse all the tables. So I headed to the LPs and went around the Classics and local books sections of the $1 books.
Here’s what I got:
I got 23 LPs, including:
- Portrait by Lynda Carter because… Lynda Carter.
- Playing to an Audience of One by David Soul to counter the notion that I buy albums based solely on attractive women on the cover. Also, if I was going to have Wonder Woman, I was going to have Hutch.
- Look Around by Sergio Mendes and Brasil ’66.
- A Christmas album by Eydie Gorme and Steve Lawrence.
- Big Bad John by Jimmy Dean because my mother had this song on a record (and I probably still do somewhere) and I wanted to play it for my children. The older one loves it already.
- Two jazz clarinet albums by Pete Fountains, French Quarter and Pete’s Place.
- My first Pat Boone album, Moonglow.
- Alley Cat by Guy Lombardo. Not because it has a cat on the cover, I swear. Although I did not buy any albums with dogs on the cover to balance it out.
- Inseperable by Natalie Cole.
- Music for Lovers by Sammy Davis, Jr.
- Music of Erin by Mary O’Hara.
And I got a boxed set of Bach’s Mass in D Minor.
I don’t mind throwing a dollar for an album by someone I don’t know; many of these, I’ll only listen to once and then only sporadically. However, I might find something I like and will not only listen to over and over again, but I’ll keep an eye out for other records (and other music formats) in the future. It explains why I have a pile of Eydie Gorme and Herb Alpert CDs and records.
At any rate, I didn’t let you down: I did buy some books, including:
I don’t know if I’ll make it back tomorrow (Saturday, half price day). It’s not like I need more books, and this particular sale is more important to me for the LPs these days anyway.